Rebel Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ugly Truth (About Gaming)

3 posters

Go down

The Ugly Truth (About Gaming) Empty The Ugly Truth (About Gaming)

Post  KAS--Will Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:50 am

Back in the day (2008 to be specific), I remember watching this video, thinking I'd accidentally stumbled onto Zero Punctuation instead of Pure Pwnage... This was shortly after the release of Call of Duty 4, and I loved the title, I was still in love with it as much as I am now (COD4 = Number 1 game of all time IMO). As time goes by though, my opinion and view on the gaming community has not changed.

I'm all for the latest and greatest in gaming. I love playing games, and seeing graphics improve (COD4 graphics evolving into MW2), and seeing gameplay changing (Half-Life 2's gravity gun evolving into Portal). However, I hate seeing the community demand things that are completely stupid, non ground breaking and the developers listen because all the care about is the big $$$. My main target in this post is Treyavision... or Treyarch and Activision. It's all a marketing scam, there's a reason there was some form of Call of Duty being released every year. (2003 = Call of Duty; 2004 = COD: United Offensive; 2005 = Call of Duty 2; ETC; ETC). Not only am I a die hard Call of Duty fan (I own every IW game and have beaten every single one on Veteran), but it's the perfect example of publishers ruining franchises!

If you don't know the history behind Call of Duty, you should probably look into it, it's a sad story that (simplified) is the story of a mother (Infinity Ward) having a perfect beautiful baby (Call of Duty), but the grandfather of the baby (Activision) pays for all the baby's needs and takes care of his daughter and lets the baby go back and forth between the babies mother, and the crack addicted hooker sister (Treyarch) every year. It's a tragic story, to ruin the ending the mother (Infinity Ward) dies, and even though it takes time, the series value is going to plummet.

Where I'm going with this is, everyone is a sucker to Activision when they buy a Call of Duty title, I don't think the reason Modern Warfare 2 got so anticipated because it was a bad multiplayer experience, or because there was little information announced on the game, and everything was kept so hush hush and no better was released (unlike COD4). The reason why MW2 was so anticipated was because COD4 was so fun! A lot of people over look that and immediately get critical and criticize the game for what doesn't matter, IE why the graphics are bad, something isn't realistic, or not enough interaction with the environment. That doesn't make a good game... a lot of people will agree with me, that Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter II, DOOM, and Duke Nukem 3D were great games, but they had bad graphics (great for their time... but their still bad if they were released to today's standards) and if you've never experienced them now's the time. I'm glad a Predator missile doesn't destroy like an actual Predator missile because it would be considered a Nuke to a map like Rust, Vacant, or Scrapyard. Not to mention the "destructible environment". I thought Modern Warfare 2 was destructible enough, apparently Black Ops is going all the way because that's another reason why people are looking forward to it... why?

They've taken out drop shots, quick scoping, and among other things, the currency system. The currency system is more disappointing to me than intriguing. I spent a large sum of my 15-16 year old life addicted to Counter-Strike. Never before would I think, a $60 IP/AAA game would take MODs from a $5 game... That's not going to say this game isn't going to be fun, I'm just saying... Is Black Ops just the whining communities prayers being answered, or an actual sequel?

I like games that improve upon themselves, not necessarily in graphics or story... I'm talking about FUN. I like games that are fun, better yet, I love games that are fun... and not many games have that anymore. I'm talking about games like Call of Duty 4, Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament, QUAKE, or even Red Dead Redemption. I love FUN games that don't rely on Multiplayer to sell, or a story, or graphics. I like games that have things that separate it from everything else on the market. Even if they are out dated and things have been repeated today; I love the fact that games are like that. What I hate is when good games like Call of Duty 4 get ruined because of Activision allowing moders to just change what's already been made so that the "fun" comes back, because of zombies... but then that only lasts about an hour till that gets boring.

I basically feel that developers don't try as hard as they should to develop the next best game, they should once and a while come out with an expansion the way they come out with some games nowadays. Mass Effect may have pushed the envelope in terms of Sci-Fi, but we've played Role Playing games like it... and Bioshock is unique too but just didn't appeal to me. Modern Warfare, Team Fortress 2, and Portal did things I've never (personally) experienced in a game, and for people to say the other 2 games were good, and their main reason being their story and graphics, I find it disappointing considering none of all my friends like these games but we can all agree, all the games I love are games we can equally agree on are GREAT.

If anybody has any opposition towards my opinion or my opinion on the gaming industry... please feel free to state it.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth (About Gaming) Empty New Gen

Post  Alx_R_U Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:39 pm

I think you are right with the whole “feeling of progression” in a game. I think that’s the difference between a Zelda game and an FPS. Like when im done with an RPG or Zelda game I say, “Wow. I feel really great about beating this game.” But when I beat, say MW2, I say, “Wow that was cool.”

I think that THIS is what defines a game. I feel that this new generation of gamers really don’t appreciate that fact. I think developers just feel that if it looks awesome and plays alright then the fans will praise the ground it walks on. Yeah they make it better with EXTREMELY in depth story lines, (MW or Halo) but nothing will really defeat that feeling I got when I beat Zelda: A Link to the Past or Super Mario 64.
Alx_R_U
Alx_R_U
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

The Ugly Truth (About Gaming) Empty Re: The Ugly Truth (About Gaming)

Post  KAS--Will Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 pm

I also feel developers are making their games to easy. Especially IW. If you play COD2 or COD4 on Veteran, it's near to impossible to beat and I felt really good beating it even though there's no sense of progression. However, MW2 was so easy, I just felt like I was playing a challenging interactive story...

I don't care about Makarov coming out of his shell, I care about getting good at something, and spending hours in front of my TV getting good at something, otherwise I was better off watching a Telly Tubbies marathon.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alx_R_U Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm

KAS--Will wrote:I also feel developers are making their games to easy. Especially IW. If you play COD2 or COD4 on Veteran, it's near to impossible to beat and I felt really good beating it even though there's no sense of progression. However, MW2 was so easy, I just felt like I was playing a challenging interactive story...

I don't care about Makarov coming out of his shell, I care about getting good at something, and spending hours in front of my TV getting good at something, otherwise I was better off watching a Telly Tubbies marathon.

I'm coming to think that games are turning into fads. Like oh its this genre thats really in right now blah blah blah. And I think we were part of the first generation that really played those "progressive" games.
Alx_R_U
Alx_R_U
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 am

Shorter, too. A regular game used to provide about 40 hours of single player gameplay, now because of the strain put on games by current gen graphics, you're lucky if you get 12
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  KAS--Will Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:46 am

That applies very true too. Like Duke Nukem 3D took me 2 days to beat, nonstop, where COD2 took me 2 days, on Veteran nonstop... so I could have completed COD2 A LOT faster... (Same with MW2).
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:47 am

KAS--Will wrote:That applies very true too. Like Duke Nukem 3D took me 2 days to beat, nonstop, where COD2 took me 2 days, on Veteran nonstop... so I could have completed COD2 A LOT faster... (Same with MW2).
MW2 sucks. It feels needlessly padded, what with the Juggernaughts and stuff, but it only takes 3-6 hours to finish.
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down