Rebel Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LucasArts: Layoffs and DLC.

2 posters

Go down

LucasArts: Layoffs and DLC. Empty LucasArts: Layoffs and DLC.

Post  KAS--Will Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Not everybody is guaranteed a job in the gaming industry like the loveable folks at Activision, that is needless to say, excluding Bizarre Creations.

Shortly after the release of the semi-failing, semi-passing "Star Wars: The Force Unleahsed II". LucasArts started by firing off 85 employees in September... this was after the release of TFU2. In other related news, TFU2 is getting DLC. A battle featured on Endor, proves that you will possibly be able to kill Ewoks. The DLC takes place during the "Return of the Jedi" episode and will feature an "Infinite Storyline" much like the Hoth bonus mission from the original Force Unleahsed.

Ah but who cares about that, what about the employees? Right, well no word was stated as to why the employees were cut, much like why Bizarre Creations was shut down. LucasArt's had this to say about the 85 employees: "LucasArts recently made a minor adjustment in staffing to help us better address the needs of the business. We remain committed to our internal studio – and to fostering relationships with trusted external partners – in order to deliver quality games that amaze and inspire fans."

So apparently LucasArts isn't closing, we got that, but we wanted to know the drama. Because it's starting to turn into a trend to fire employees/close studios upon developing a game. (IE Infinity Ward, Bizarre Creations, LucasArts) If there is a God, Treyarch is next...
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

LucasArts: Layoffs and DLC. Empty Re: LucasArts: Layoffs and DLC.

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

So the message is, "Dont take risks, stick to what makes the money or you'll lose your jobs. Don't innovate, just clone"
Great. Nice work, you soulless, art killing publisher fucks
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  KAS--Will Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 am

You know what, to some it all up, that's what it's been turning into a lot lately.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 am

screw that. I'm gonna learn how to code and make proper, interesting, unique games, bitches! Or at least try. And I wont sell out to publishers!
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  KAS--Will Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 am

Be independent or a 3rd party developer then. If your 3rd party, you use publishers for money, but the games are yours, they just fund it and get a share of the profits. Be independent, and it all comes out of your wallet.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 am

Not rall bothered about profit, I'd do it to make good games. I've never really thought about actually being a Dev, though.
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  KAS--Will Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 am

I'm not telling you about the money because of what you'll be making. I'm telling you about money because the average AAA title (or a game that goes on multiplatforms or next gen consoles) costs an AVERAGE of $15,000,000 (Yeah, that's million). What's even more sad, is that it costs this much to make a game, and "Game Designers" are paid an average of $55,000 a year.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:18 am

I would imagine a lot of that budget is actually paying people to do stuff.
Its these current gen graphics, dude. They're hard to render, and hard to animate. It takes top notch tech to make it work, top notch tech is expensive. Much cheaper PS2 graphics FTW
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down