Rebel Gaming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010

3 posters

Go down

Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010 Empty Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010

Post  KAS--Will Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 pm

At the VGA's last week, 1Up caught up with Jason West, Infinity Ward's ex-CTO and Respawn Entertainments Co-founder. He mentioned his favorites (Red Dead, and Halo: Reach) but ironically, he hasn't checked out Black Ops? Possibly because of Ex-IW issues? Maybe. Other than that, he doesn't seemed bugged by it. I could see him being pissed though about Black Ops being Treyarch's best, but I'd tell him; "Take it as a compliment, without IW, Treyarch would just be Kirin Entertainment (Developers of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties). Besides, you can tell IW was proud of their engine, calling it IW Engine after a while, and there's even rumors that if you own a copy of World at War or Black Ops, you can find cod3.exe, for the engine, cod3 was IW's original title for COD4:MW.

You can watch the full interview here.
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010 Empty Re: Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010

Post  PaulMcLawl Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Yea I saw that, and thought they were making a big stink out of nothing. It's not impossible to not play a COD game. I haven't played Black Ops.

But I did find it funny they referred to COD4 as COD3, that kind of does show what IW thought of non-IW made CODs.
PaulMcLawl
PaulMcLawl
n00b
n00b

Back to top Go down

Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010 Empty Re: Jason West talks about his favorite games at the VGA 2010

Post  KAS--Will Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:34 pm

You have to realize, IW built that game from the ground up. The completely modified the id Software 3 engine to a COD engine, and Activision was so impressed they bought them and reaped them of their success.

Imagine it like this: You made a model of an airplane, but you didn't paint it because your so proud of it, and you don't want to ruin it and your fine with the stickers. Well, your dad gives it to your little brother to paint, and your brother will get ALL the credit for making it, and painting it.

That's basically what happens, however it didn't happen so much with the past COD's as it did till recently with World at War... but Black Ops is the prime example because I have reason to believe it runs on a MW2 (IW4.0E) engine, and not a "World at War engine".
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RevengeofTHEJORRRG Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:32 am

I don't know about referring to Treyarch as Infinity Ward's "little brother." They have been around a lot longer and have a lot more experience in game making and especially in game variety. I think they deserve a bit more respect than you give them, KAS. They never asked for the CoD licence. I think of them more as IW's older brother that has been reluctantly entrusted with their little brothers toy (CoD) that he (IW) made that his abusive stepdad (Activision) took off him for painting it in too many unconventional colours and gave to the older brother (Treyarch.)
Damn that is one weird metafor.
You know Treyarch has had to cancel plans for 2 brand new IP's because Activision kept sticking them with a CoD game to make.
RevengeofTHEJORRRG
RevengeofTHEJORRRG

Back to top Go down

Post  KAS--Will Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:31 am

Treyarch has been around longer yes... but that doesn't mean the studio and the men (and women) behind the game don't... at least with doing games like Call of Duty.

Treyarch's head NEVER did ask for the Call of Duty license but here's how it worked out to Treyarch getting it.

Mark Lamia, you know him well as the guy who does all the talking for Treyarch, worked for Capcom in 2002, when he noticed COD... he was mainly responsible for Infinity Ward getting bought by Activision, and by doing so, he moved his faggot ass to Treyarch instead of a chair at Activision. From Treyarch's cock, he they made United Offensive (back then Treyarch was known as Grey Matter). My main hatred is of Activision, Treyarch is kinda caught in the middle but it's to blame for the favorite employee... Mark Lamia...
KAS--Will
KAS--Will
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down